Your Identity Belongs to You.
Identity theft is on the rise – don't let it happen to you.
The smartest way to protect yourself from identity theft is to prevent it from happening to you. However, if your identity is stolen, you’ll be able to lessen problems by acting quickly.
- Call your credit card companies immediately. Explain what happened, and ask where to send a copy of the police report.
- Call and report to the police. Make several copies of police report.
- Complete a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Theft Affidavit and FTC report (call 1-887-ID-THEFT to request the forms).
- Call your bank. They can place an alert on your Driver's License number and Social Security Number, and freeze your account.
- Call fraud units of credit report agencies: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.