As you know, yesterday officially marked the beginning of the 2014 storm season. Are you financially prepared should a natural disaster strike? Here are some recommended financial tips to make recovery after a storm more manageable.
- Keep cash on hand in case ATMs are out of service
- Maintain a credit card with sufficient available balance for emergency purchases
- Purchase a water proof folder to keep receipts of repair transactions (a kid's pencil case will work for this)
- Make sure bill payments are current to avoid potential late fees
- If it is necessary to hire a contractor or work with a public adjuster following a storm, make sure that he or she is appropriately licensed
For more disaster preparedness tips, as well as videos, brochures and other information resources, visit Division of Consumer Services' website.