As you know, yesterday officially marked the beginning of the 2014 storm season. Are you financially prepared should a natural disaster strike? Here are some recommended financial tips to make recovery after a storm more manageable.
- Keep cash on hand in case ATMs are out of service
- Maintain a credit card with sufficient available balance for emergency purchases
- Purchase a water proof folder to keep receipts of repair transactions (a kid's pencil case will work for this)
- Make sure bill payments are current to avoid potential late fees
- If it is necessary to hire a contractor or work with a public adjuster following a storm, make sure that he or she is appropriately licensed
For more disaster preparedness tips, as well as videos, brochures and other information resources, visit Division of Consumer Services' website.
There are no comments yet.