From gifts and garlands to tinsel and trimmings, temptations are everywhere for pets during the holidays. Avoid a not-so-merry night at the vet's office by preventing your pets from eating anything they're not supposed to.
How it happens
Many swallowed objects can travel down the esophagus, but end up stuck in the stomach or intestines. This can lead to life-threatening blockages, tears or even toxicity if hazardous elements such as lead are present. Objects that can't pass naturally require surgical or endoscopic removal.
What to look for
Common signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Note: If you notice your pet trying to pass string, do not attempt to pull it out as this can cause serious damage to the intestines. Nationwide® pet insurance members can always contact the vethelpline® for 24/7 help at no charge.
Protect your pet
The average cost to treat foreign body ingestion in pets is $1,788, but Nationwide® pet insurance covers accidental injuries like this and more.Get a no-obligation quote today at PetsNationwide.com.
There are no comments yet.